Day 9: Burgette - Zubiri (total km walked: 48,2km) *Eurotrip - Camino*

I slept like a baby right through the night. I really cannot remember when last that happened. Man was I stoked! This could all be to one of the following reasons: sleeping pill I got from Bearman, or the Lapis Lazuli crystal that I got from Durango (this crystal is for migraines, headaches, skin disorders, anxiety, calms nervous system, reduced inflammations and pain) or the copious amount of sangria we drank last night. We polished off 5 bottles of Tinto vino and two pitchers of beer between 4 people.



We were up at 7:30 and back on the road by 8:45. All the pilgrims that stayed in the previous town were walking past our hostel and we were waving at them from our balcony. I have found my favourite new tree. Not sure what it is called, but I'm seeing them everywhere in Spain. 


Medium ascents and descents and a few snack & boots breaks. Lovely to have delicious snacks to eat instead of white baguettes. Boots breaks are where you take your boots off and let your toes breathe. Cold breeze on your toesies: best!


We had a few 'live in the postcard' moments. Just amay may views and scenery. Walking through forests and plenty of hell hills. Not my fav. No gracias. At the bottom of one of the hills, Bearman surprised me with a Camino shell that I can hang on my backpack. Everyone has them and I didn't buy one like everyone else in st Jean. I was so stoked to have one too!





At 10am we had the left over sangria. Why? Cause we can. It's the Camino and we are on holiday! I walked with a lot of different people today. Met a Virgo girl from Denmark that I really like, we had some great chats. I can't name everyone that I walked with, there are too many. It was so great to meet all the pilgrims at the first albergue where we all had dinner together. Everyone had to get up and introduce themselves. So it's interesting to see the people along the way which you have met before. You greet them like old friends and are really happy to see a familiar face.




We arrived at Zubiri and thought that we should have lunch and a beer and see if we want to continue to the next town. My feet were really sore and my blister count was at 5 now. Oef! As we entered the town, we crossed a bridge that was over a river. We walked down to the river and took our hiking boots off and then put our feet in the river. Man oh man was that soothing and refreshing!  One chick jumped in the river and Denmark #2 followed suit. The water was bloody freezing! Cray! 






We went to Cafetaria Polideportivo Esteribar, which had a really unfriendly waiter. They offer pilgrim menus at most restaurants on the way. This one had a three course meal for 12€ and I shared it with Denmark #1. It was not such a great meal. Also not Spanish at all.

After the meal we decided to stay in the town and went to look for a Farmacia (pharmacy) to get some stuff for blisters. Then walked some more and found an albergue. I was staying with Denmark #1 & #2 in a room with 14 beds. We got settled in and then went to the shop to buy...guess what? Tinto (red) wine! To make some sangria for our river party! 


We were walking around town and just inviting random people to our river party. Where can you ever do that? This is why the Camino is so unique. You are friends with everyone. Doesn't matter who they are, what they do, where they from, how much money they have, what car they drive, how old they are, how they look or what house they live in. You don't judge on appearances. None of that matters. All you see is another pilgrim who is on the same journey as you. You only see their soul. This is beautiful. I think everyone should experience this. 




We can live so superficially without realizing it. Life is supposed to be simple. One of the lessons that I have learnt on the Camino was that I need to learn to receive. I am always giving to those around me and when people want to give back to me, I would rather say no it's okay. I like being independent and try to get things done by myself without anyone's help. Afrikaans dude helped me out so much. That was the first time I had to just let go and receive. Then with my blisters everyone was so keen to help doctor up my feet and give me plasters and tape. In general everyone is just so giving and friendly on the Camino.



Enough rambling about the deep stuff, back to the river party of the century! In the shop they open the wine for you and even give you plastic cups. Everyone contributed some fruit and we were all set to parteee! The couple we invited in the shop to join us brought such scrumptious snackaroos! Asparagus, jarbon (smoked ham), olives, queso (cheese) and baguette. I pumped some tunes on my iPhone which I placed in a plastic cup to amplify the sound. A boer maak n plan! The rain broke up our party and we moved to the bar. 

Here I had wifi and Natty was a happy chappy! We had some beer and some local shot. It's pink, but I can't remember the name. Tasted similar to sherry, made from local berries. I asked Durango to buy us some oysters and he came back with a whiskey tumbler with loads of vodka in. We drank it anyways. 

The albergue usually have a curfew and ours was 10pm and we were an hour late.  We were very loud and probably woke up everyone. Not highly recommended, because everyone might hate you the next day! It was a brilliant night and I had lots of fun!

Comments

Popular Posts