Babylonstoren

It was our six month anniversary on the 25th of June and my boyfriend spoilt me! I was out at my Social Club and he sneaked into my flat (he's got a set of keys) and left roses everywhere in my flat! He left sushi and guava juice in my fridge, which was just the right medicine that I would need after a Social Club night, as a couple of glasses of wine usually gets consumed.


We wanted to celebrate our six months together and visiting Babylonstoren was on the JANAT to do list. JANAT {Jandre + Natalie} Our list looks like this:

JANAT TO DO LIST

Milnerton market ✔️
Silvermine ✔️
Babelonstoren ✔️
trail run - pipetrack, ✔️Altydgedacht, deer park
22 waterfalls
Darling
Riebeeck kasteel ✔️
Yoga
Up the creek
Africa burn ✔️
Cricket
Tamboerswinkel 
Dogs bollocks
Aquarium
Shark cage diving 
Robin island
Wine farms ✔️
Art galleries ✔️

Massive sweet potato!



So off we went last Sunday. It costs R10 per person to enter the wine farm, which is quite strange to be charged for entrance, but I felt like it was worth it. There's free tours through out the day, such as a farm tour, garden tour and a wine cellar tour. Wine tasting is for free. So to pay R10 per person isn't that bad, because you get all of the above.

Wine bottles floating above my head, I must be in heaven!



Beautiful colours in the pond

We arrived on the farm which was very neat and well looked after. We went to the farm shop and looked at all the interesting things to buy. Then we went to the wine bar, which used to be a donkey stall, for wine tasting. I loved the interior of the bar which had a lot of natural stone and wood finishes. Hilton took us through all the wines and our favourite was the Shiraz, which was the last one. We bought a bottle to have with a steak in the near future.

BF & I



After that we bought some cheese to snack on, as we felt quite peckish after all the wine. Then we took a walk through the beautiful garden. The hotel restaurant called Babel is fully booked for two months, so if you want to eat there, then you need to book well in advance.  It's also not too cheap, I looked at the menu and would guess that it would be about R300 per head, which would include a main meal and two drinks. Most of the food in the restaurant comes from the farm itself, which is amazing and organic! Their menu is very interesting and you can choose from yellow, green or red veg or salad. Then they give you whatever veggies is in season from the garden. Great idea.



Insect hotel

Beautiful door with grape cut out and entrance to the Hedgehogs quarters

Another gorgeous door with a bee cut out and home to bees

There was plenty to explore in the gardens, from hedgehogs to donkeys, to the puffadder walkway to koi fish and beautiful plants. We ended up at the Glasshouse restaurant which is so incredibly gorgeous. It's a greenhouse filled with interesting plants and tables and chairs. 


Inside the hedgehogs home

Puffadder walk way


Inside the Glasshouse restaurant

They only serve light meals here and the boyfriend and I ordered two meals that we could share. He had a boerewors roll with spicy relish and hand cut chips @ R75. I had biltong and gorgonzola ciabatta with a salad @ R75. Then we ordered a red and a yellow juice.



The food came quickly and was served in a crate. The sandwiches was wrapped in paper together with your cutlery and the relishes and side orders was served in individual glass jars. How amazing is that?



Everything tasted fresh and so tasty. I think that it was very reasonably priced and good value for money. 




As the expression in Afrikaans go: magie vol ogies toe (tummy full, eyes closed), that was exactly the case. We drove home and I had a huge food baby, especially from the carbs overload (I try and avoid starches), I crashed on the bed and fell into a deep sleep for 2 hours.  When I woke up I was a new person and craved more of that decadent food!



Do yourself a favour and go visit this farm, you won't be disappointed. Let me know if you went!


Comments

Popular Posts